Monday, September 21, 2009

Theological Discourse is a funny guy...

Because I am bored, and don't really feel like blogging about anything worthwhile, I figure I might as well go after my favorite piece of low hanging fruit, Theological Discourse. Not that I expect to have any real results here, just you know I am bored.

Theo said this-

How many times do I have to say it? God did not create the world EVIL! can you not read? can you not listen? or is it you simply cannot refute that assertion? God did not create the world evil.


Now it is kind of fun to notice how Theo interacts with those who disagree with him, asking if they are either illiterate or deaf, he is no stranger to the ad hominem, and I think it's cute in a very simple minded way. But I digress.

What does Theo mean when he says this? A while back Theo used the example of building a laptop. His example went like this "6 months ago I built a laptop, when I finished building it, it was perfect. Now the laptop has viruses on it. I (the laptop creator) didn't put the viruses on it."

The example is supposed to illustrate God building something perfect, something that when he made it was perfect. So Theo is telling us that creation is like a perfect laptop, and now that it has existed for a while it has viruses or evil.

Now lets examine this: A perfect laptop should be immune to viruses, which is what the problem of evil is basically saying; a world created by an all powerful/knowing/moral god would have no reason to contain evil, or at least such a world should have an extremely low probability of having any evil. Theo doesn't seem to understand this, and hence doesn't understand the problem of evil.

But that's not even the only problem with this foolish analogy. If the laptop and the laptops creator are the only things in existence, were the FUCK did the viruses come from Theo? If all that exists are the laptop and it's creator, how could it get a virus?

God makes the world, it is perfect and with out sin or evil, and only God and his creations exist were then does evil come from? If Theo wants to say that man brought evil to the world from their free will, then he has to admit that God made a world were evil was possible, thus the world was not "all good" when created, it had a flaw that allowed for evil.

If he wants to say that Satan makes evil in the world, then he's obviously forgetting who created Satan, and that Satan is part of "creation", because he was "created". There is no way theo can say that the world was created with out evil, because if it was, there would be no evil.

I suspect Theo will assume I am trying to argue that God created evil; I am not. I am simply saying that this world was flawed from the beginning and any attempt to say otherwise is foolish and bullheadedly ignorant.

Theo you're a funny guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment